Mission Community Hospital is a 145 bed acute care facility with a 50 year legacy of serving the San Fernando Valley. Currently we are in search of Clinical Lab Scientists and have needs for Per Diem, Part Time and Full Time roles. Under minimal supervision and direction by the General Supervisor or the Department Director, this position is responsible for providing data for patient management by performing tests and procedures in those specialties and subspecialties in which he/she is qualified by education, training, and experience. Consistently monitors results, ensuring a high degree of accuracy before reporting, verifies reports, and documents all incompatible or highly abnormal results. Independent judgment is exercised in the performance of and monitoring laboratory procedures, quality control, and preventive maintenance within each department. Open communication and feedback to physicians, nursing and other Hospital personnel is an essential responsibility of this position for quality patient management.
This position will be primarily working with critically ill through rehabilitation adolescent to geriatric patient population in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional and/or developmental age of the individual served.
- Performs analytical testing appropriately while consistently monitoring results ensuring a high degree of accuracy before reporting. Verifies delta checks and all incompatible or highly abnormal results, documenting all verifications, and calling all Panics to floor/physician.
- Performs all pre-analytical quality control procedures as outlined in policy and procedure on a daily basis and on each shift. Understands statistical analysis pertaining to the QC performed. Reviews and ensures the QC results to be within acceptable limits before performing test procedures and take appropriate corrective action when necessary, documenting all actions and results.
- Performs all maintenance required for each shift, to include any required instrument maintenance, temperature checks, and subsequent recording of all related data into appropriate books, charts and logs in accurate fashion.
- Utilizes testing reagents in an efficient and appropriate manner, avoiding unnecessary waste.
- Prepares reagents for testing correctly, always aware of correct lot numbers and expiration dates.
- Communicates with the Supervisor or Department Director when a reagent is in short supply or of any problems with a reagent.
- Understands the function and proper use of the Laboratory Information System and has knowledge of the system to be able to solve minor interface and other laboratory system computer related problems.
- Maintains technical knowledge and skills necessary to provide appropriate patient care. Keeps current with changing technical environments and interrelationships of test parameters that affect patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates an understanding of gender, age and other factors that affect accurate patient results.
- Participates in training and in-service activities for any new procedures in a timely manner.
- Adaptable to the variance within laboratory day to day operations.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize and prioritize the daily work load to produce timely outcomes.
- Demonstrates the ability to solve problems situations that arise within the shift.
- BS Degree required
- State of California Clinical Laboratory Scientist License
- ASCP certification preferred
- Preferred 2 years of responsible, noteworthy working experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist. This experience should include duties in the general laboratory and Blood Bank.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Computer skilled with experience using Microsoft software at an intermediate level.
- Fire Card