Mercer is seeking candidates for the following position. Candidates can be remote or based in the Phoenix, Minneapolis, or Atlanta office:
Senior Government Actuarial Consultant
What can you expect?
- Be a part of the team that leverages our knowledge and expertise to help states manage the challenges and complexities of the health care world
- Work alongside passionate, critical-thinking colleagues to assist government-sponsored programs in becoming more efficient purchasers of health services
- Be on the cutting edge of health care reform . We partner with states and the Federal government on implementing a wide variety of health care and human services issues, including actuarial, data/systems analysis, clinical, policy, pharmacy, operations, and procurement
- Beyond the in-depth training provided, new employees are included on client teams immediately, providing unique opportunities to learn more while helping team members with critical workloads and making a difference to our clients
- As part of Mercer, the Government Human Services Consulting team offers its expertise within a small business atmosphere
What’s in it for you?
- Be a part of the team that has the world’s largest and most influential benefits brokerage and consulting capabilities
- Our competitive programs, entrepreneurial spirit and team-oriented culture offer a richly rewarding and exciting environment where you can excel and achieve your professional goals
- We run many social and new-hire events, outings, and employee networks, having fun in the work you do comes from being a part of a client team and contributing to its success
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Serve as lead or co-lead actuary on large and complex state managed health and welfare capitation projects. These capitation projects are commissioned by government entities to determine the rates that they will pay for health and welfare services covered by their plans
- In conjunction with the project leader, work with the client to define the scope of the project and serve as an expert on rate structure and methodology and ensure consistency with federal regulations and actuarial standards
- Provide actuarial oversight and guidance in developing the data model
- Develop the rate setting assumptions that are built into the data model and informs client and project team on impact of data assumptions and provide on-going review and guidance during the data analysis process
- Collaborate with client team and project team to finalize rates and educate client on the impact of their policies on the data and rates
- Draft project communications, including rate capitation letters and act as actuarial authority that signs and certifies rate capitation letters
What qualifications are necessary to have for the role?
- BA/BS degree
- Actuarial credentials (ASA or FSA, MAAA) required
- 7+ years of Health & Benefits or relevant actuarial experience
What makes you ideal for the role?
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Strong critical thinking and analytical problem-solving skills
To learn more about Mercer’s GHSC practice, please visit www.mercer-government.mercer.com
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s more than 25,000 employees are based in 44 countries and the firm operates in over 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh & McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of $17 billion. Through its market-leading businesses including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh & McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment. For more information, visit https://www.me.mercer.com/. Follow Mercer on Twitter @Mercer.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.