JOB SUMMARY: Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) can perform waived and moderately complex testing, with the exception of moderately complex microscopy, authorized by CDPH – LFS, California Code or Regulations (CCR), Title 17, Section 1032.5 and additional requirements provided in California Business and Professions Code (BPC) Section 1260.3 and must possess a degree of skill commensurate with individual’s education, training or experience and technical abilities.
Each individual performing the above procedures must: 1) adhere to the laboratory’s procedures for the collection, processing, analysis, and reporting of patient test results, 2) follow the laboratory’s established quality control policies and procedures in documenting all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications, 3) be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance and either correct the problem or immediately notify your immediate supervisor, Director, or Medical Director, 4) perform waived or moderately complex laboratory procedures using both manual and automated methods in, Hematology, Chemistry, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Microbiology and Immunology, 5) perform and document maintenance – daily, weekly, monthly, or as needed on instruments and equipment as appropriate, 6) review the accuracy of patient results prior to releasing or reporting, 7) recognize age specific differences in expected results for newborns to geriatrics, 8) ensure that the testing of proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples and that collaboration with other laboratories is prohibited prior to the reporting of proficiency testing results to the appropriate agencies, 9) may be required to perform venipuncture or capillary puncture on various age groups from newborn to geriatrics, 10) adheres to all department and hospital policies and procedures related to safety, infection control, emergency preparedness, and human resources, 11) other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned by the department manager/director.
The Medical Laboratory Technician is distinguished from the lower level Laboratory Assistant in that MLT’s perform moderately complex laboratory tests as defined by State and Federal regulations and may report patient test results under the supervision of the licensed Clinical Lab Scientist. It is differentiated from the higher Clinical Laboratory Scientist and Microbiologist Specialist in that MLT’s may not perform highly complex laboratory tests nor immunohematology testing as defined by State and Federal regulations.
Education and Work Experience
1. Associates Degree or completion of coursework in a program for MLT.
2. Computer/Lab Information system and Quality Control knowledge and experience
3. Possession of a current and valid state Medical Laboratory Technician license.
4. Minimum 1-year clinical laboratory experience preferred, but new graduate acceptable
5. Must Complete department orientation, training and pass qualification for the specialty (ies) assigned prior to performing testing for patients, includes equipment preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and QC/ Calibration procedures. All applicants may apply at SHERMANOAKSHOSPITAL.ORG or smarthires.com. Once the application is submitted, it will be reviewed and forwarded directly to the hiring manager; at which time, the hiring manager will contact those candidates to schedule an interview.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources. EEO is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf