Medical Laboratory Technician (Clinical) - Part Time, Variable (Los Angeles)
We are hospitals and affiliated medical groups, working closely together for the benefit of every person who comes to us for care. We build comprehensive networks of quality healthcare services that are designed to offer our patients highly coordinated, personalized care and help them live healthier lives. Through collaboration, we strive to provide all of our patients and medical group members with the quality, affordable healthcare they need and deserve.
The Medical Laboratory Technician under supervision performs pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical phases of all testing with speed and accuracy as authorized under California State Business and Professions Code. Analyzes test results in accordance with the patient population (e.g., pediatric, neonatal, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients). Reviews and reports test results to the appropriate provider or location. Maintains quality control, quality assurance and preventive maintenance according to department policy. Successfully interacts with all laboratory computer systems. Maintains yearly state determined educational requirements. Ensures adequate supplies and inventory and performs all clerical functions including but not limited to data entry, maintaining records, answering phones, and providing reports. Provides support and facilitates communications by effectively navigating computer and phone systems, building and maintaining customer relationships, and providing a positive, professional and empathetic understanding to all customers.
- Performs and records instrument preventive procedures. Documents daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance procedures as determined by department protocol. Performs and records quality control results as determined by established protocol. Verifies all requirements of test samples to include labeling accuracy and/or tube containers prior to testing. Performs all test procedures as outlined in the department’s procedure manual. Crosschecks results for appropriate correlations and reports testing results with accuracy. Identifies and troubleshoots issues that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either corrects the problems or immediately notifies the Director/Manager/Supervisor. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications. Records all information required on department log sheets, worksheets, printouts, and file cards, etc. Utilizes computer system to enter and report data. Performs proficiency testing, inter-laboratory tests, and competency assessment as required. Completes special assignments in a timely manner with desired results. Follows the laboratory’s procedures for handling and proper disposal of specimens, reagents, and biohazard waste.
- Identifies patient, observes the correct procedure for venipuncture, collects and labels specimens exactly as outlined in each medical requisition. Accurately prints collection batch and labels for phlebotomy collections. Adheres to infection control standards, properly handles each specimen, and ensures that every specimen is delivered to the laboratory in a timely manner per laboratory protocol. Accurately processes specimens for send-out according to appropriate procedures ensuring timely processing/dispatch.
- Actively participates in departmental process improvement. Adheres to turnaround time (TAT) guidelines for STAT and routine tests. Ensures HIPAA compliance and regulatory standards.
- Empathizes with patient and patient support systems, expresses compassion and understanding for the situation and demonstrates care, which is appropriate for the age, and cultural, religious, gender identity, or ethnic background. Engages in caring behaviors, taking conscious ownership for work and takes deliberate/thoughtful actions regarding how to best carry out interactions with the patient, families, physicians, and co-workers.
- Receives and handles calls, documents issues, and escalates to Lead/Supervisor as appropriate. Manages supplies including inventory, ordering, receiving, and stocking. Delivers lab supplies as appropriate. Picks-up and delivers all laboratory samples/specimens to the departments for testing as appropriate. Prints and delivers/faxes lab reports in a timely manner.
Minimum Education: None.
Minimum Experience: One (1) year of experience as a Medical Technician in the United States, if not U.S. trained required. Previous phlebotomy experience required. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the hospital. Ability to maintain a work pace appropriate to the workload. Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in English. Must be willing to work variable shifts and overtime as required. Must demonstrate customer service skills appropriate to the job. Ability to identify and distinguish colors. Experience with lab/hospital computer systems and software preferred. Applicable clinical lab work experience with the understanding of fundamental scientific principles underlying laboratory tests preferred. Bilingual skills to communicate effectively with patients and families preferred.
Req. Certification/Licensure: Current California Licensure as a Medical Laboratory Technician required. Hospital Fire and Life Safety Card (Los Angeles City Employees only required).
Employee Value Proposition
Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc., is guided by a diverse and highly experienced leadership core. This group maintains the vision that has made Prospect a needed difference-maker in the lives of so many patients today, and many executives contribute to our continued efforts. As a member of our highly effective team of professionals, benefit eligible positions will receive:
- Company 401K
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Paid time-off
- Life insurance
How to Apply
To apply for this role, or search our other openings, please visit http://pmh.com/careers/ and click on a location to begin your journey to a new career with us!
We are an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status, disability, race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or other protected characteristics. If you need special accommodation for the application process, please contact Human Resources.
EEOC is the Law: https://www.eeoc.gov/
Keywords: Clinical Lab, Laboratory, Acute Care Hospital, Allied, Clinical, Support