Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
A healthy heart is essential to good health. That's why we're committed to advancing treatments for people with cardiovascular disease. As a global leader in Cardiac Rhythm Technologies, our breakthrough medical technologies help restore people's health so they can get back to living their best lives, faster. We focus on innovative technologies that can improve the way doctors treat people with heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats.
Our location in Sylmar, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Senior Scientist, Applied Research.
Senior Scientist, Applied Research identifies, plans, recommends, and completes technical programs leading to innovative applications of new and existing products and technologies having major division or company-wide importance. Designs and carries out biomedical research projects and investigations. Disseminates findings and product implications to management, engineers and, where appropriate, to the scientific community through publications, conferences, and reports. Investigates patent implications of research outcomes and coordinates applications with intellectual property attorneys.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Identifies significant areas of scientific inquiry that may be related to medical device therapy, designs research projects to investigate such areas, and carries out or directs such projects to completion.
- Reports significant progress and final findings of projects to management and product development staff in the company.
- Documents work in a manner suitable for technical papers and patents.
- Publishes research findings in scientific press and may otherwise disseminate findings at conferences and symposia.
- Develops and directs preclinical evaluation protocols, data analysis, and reports
- Remains aware of patent implications of research; takes appropriate steps to review patent implications with attorneys and with management; prepares documentation for patent applications whenever required to protect value to the company.
- With approvals, may collaborate with and/or direct research projects carried out at universities and laboratories outside of the company.
- Assesses own and others’ research results in order to develop recommendations for future research directions and projects.
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in biomedical, mechanical, or electrical engineering or other relevant scientific discipline.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in medical product development and/or a graduate degree with relevant project experience.
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to work in a highly matrixed and geographically diverse business environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Demonstrated leadership capability in team settings.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%, including internationally.
- Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Masters or PhD in biomedical, mechanical, or electrical engineering or other relevant scientific discipline.
- Demonstrated track record of innovative scientific accomplishments, approved patents and breakthrough technical contributions.
- Outstanding technical leadership skills.
- Experience working in a broader enterprise/cross-division business unit model.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.