Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
A healthy heart is essential to good health. That's why we're committed to advancing treatments for people with cardiovascular disease. As a global leader in Cardiac Rhythm Technologies, our breakthrough medical technologies help restore people's health so they can get back to living their best lives, faster. We focus on innovative technologies that can improve the way doctors treat people with heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats.
Our location in Sylmar, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Staff Engineer Electrical/ Technical Leader. Seeking an experienced, highly-motivated, enthusiastic, Staff Electrical Engineer / Technical Leader with extensive experience in Analog and Mixed Signal Design to join the Electrical Engineering Department within the Cardiac Resynchronization Management Division of Abbott. This role will emphasize design, new technology, product development, simulation/modeling, directing characterization/testing efforts, hands on troubleshooting/analysis, and provide mentorship and technical leadership for implantable medical devices. As a Staff Engineer, this individual will lead and drive programs as a subject matter expert, mentor and provide guidance to junior level staff, be able to present and review information
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design and development hardware with an emphasis on Analog and Mixed Signal Systems to be used in new product and technology development of implantable medical devices. This includes directing testing and characterization efforts, simulation and modeling, data mining and analysis, deep-level troubleshooting and analysis and following Design Controls for Quality System Regulations.
- Initiates the planning, organization, performing, coordinating and/or directing of engineering work, and may conduct technical performance assessments and evaluations.
- High level circuit simulation using PSpice and other tools such as Mentorgraphics HyperLynx.
- Designing a variety of engineering test tools, mock-up circuits, sockets and fixtures required throughout the development purposes.
- Working with a PCB Design Engineer to layout designs, understand design constraints, and ensuring part placement.
- Remaining abreast of technical advancements and component technology shifts for developing the next generation implantable medical devices.
- Authoring of design verification plans, documents and reviews reports.
- Ability to present data and analysis through formal presentations and reviews to peers and upper management.
- Ability to completely utilize engineering equipment in the lab such as oscilloscopes, function generators, logic and network analyzers, SMUs, etc…
- Provides guidance and mentorship to other engineers, junior level engineers, technicians and co-ops.
- Design and documents custom tools and simulations to support document control and tool release.
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments. Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors.
- Provides engineering support to other functions and organization such as Manufacturing, Supply Chain and Operations.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, on occasion, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical/electronic engineering or related engineering field. Or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in medical device development and/or other regulated industry.
- Demonstrated ability to develop new design features as part of existing systems.
- Documented record of delivering tool engineering information which adds value to management’s decision-making process.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and tasks.
- Advanced personal computer skills, including spreadsheet, word processing, database management, and specialized applications.
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering or related engineering field.
- Advanced credential or professional certification in a relevant discipline/concentration desired.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.