Spira is seeking a talented, creative, innovative and skilled Manufacturing/Automation Design Engineer III with excellent communication skills and experience. Your role will be primarily designing, improving and automating production machinery and processes for Spira's EMI gasket and filter product line. Responsibilities include:
- Design, development and troubleshooting of production machinery and plant automation from start to finish.
- Learn and understand Spira's product line of EMI gaskets & filters, and some EMI theory.
- Evaluate manufacturing processes for quality and efficiency, including time & cost studies.
- Coordinate with other engineers and manufacturing personnel to ensure design intent and cost-effectiveness of production are achieved.
- New product research, design & manufacturability.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing or building of prototype products or systems.
- Establish technical manuals, drawings, models, training documentation, preventative maintenance plans and troubleshooting guides for newly established automated equipment/processes.
- Train manufacturing personnel on correct use of machines.
- Manage multiple projects including customer applications support, manufacturing maintenance of existing machines, and specifying and setting up new equipment.
- Participate as part of the technical application design team assisting customers via phone & email.
- Interface with other engineering personnel to research and prepare design modifications.
- Evaluate customer drawings for design and tooling and efficient production methods.
- Develop drawings and detailed technical documentation with specifications (BOMs).
- Assist with testing and analyzing test data for design specs and development.
- Use computer-assisted engineering and design software (Solidworks).
- Production machine programming and coding.
- Lead, advise, and train more junior engineers and machine specialists.
Spira Manufacturing Corporation is a successful and growing company providing the finest quality gaskets for shielding electronic equipment from EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). For over 40 years Spira has been known as an industry leader in EMI gasket innovation, design, customer education and customer service. Located in San Fernando, California, Spira is a well-respected innovator, profitable for over 40 years. As the whole world turns to electricity, the market for Spira's leading-edge products continues to expand. As part of our team, you will enjoy bright, collaborative colleagues working to expand a growing field by creating top-of-the-line products and educating the engineering world.
Spira values work-life balance, and offers a great salary and benefits package; may be eligible for an annual bonus.
- BS in ME, EE, Automation, or Related Field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years experience in design of automated equipment.
- Proficient with computers and CAD software (SolidWorks experience desirable).
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Machine programming and coding desirable.
- Hands-on attitude and flexibility; work with design, production, machines, and computers.
- Excellent mechanical comprehension, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – written and verbal.
- U.S. citizenship (due to the nature of projects and customer requirements).
- Highly responsible and motivated, able to work with minimum supervision.
- ISO9001/AS9100 knowledge and experience.
- Material handling and machine automation mechanics desirable.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing methodologies and root cause analysis desirable.
Candidates will be screened for skills, background/reference check, and drugs.