Join Our Team!
Sunbelt Rentals strives to be the customer's first choice in the equipment rental industry. From pumps to scaffolding to general construction tools, we aim to be the only call needed to outfit a job site with the proper equipment. Not only do we offer a vast fleet that ranks among the best in the industry, we pair it all with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. Our employees are our greatest asset, and although we present a comprehensive equipment offering, our expertise and service are what truly distinguish us from the competition.
We pride ourselves on investing in our workforce and offer competitive benefits, as well as extensive on-the-job training for all eligible employees.
As a highly successful national company, we are constantly looking for talented individuals to support our growth. If you are interested in pursuing a rewarding career, we invite you to review our opportunities!
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
**This role covers the Western US and is Remote**
Regional Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) Manager
Sunbelt’s Regional Safety, Health and Environmental Manager (Level 2) is equipped for success so we can make it happen for our customers.
Regional Safety, Health and Environmental Manager 2 is responsible for overseeing all aspects of occupational safety management at assigned profit centers, implementation and adherence of safety policies and programs, and communicating safety issues to the National Safety Director and/or VP of Safety and Risk Management.
This position is responsible for recommending and developing procedures to improve organizational performance. Ultimately, the employee holding this position is responsible for overseeing the overall integrity and quality of all Sunbelt Rentals safety protocols at individual profit centers within their assigned area. Specifically:
- Assists PCM and PC leadership in developing a Culture of understanding injury and incident prevention. Actively engages with PC leadership and employees to develop an understanding and “buy-in” of a safe work force.
- Provides training and guidance to PC leadership including PCM, Shop Foreman, Dispatcher and Safety Coordinator in each Profit Center to ensure a consistent approach is taken regarding policies and procedures.
- Conducts PC safety compliance inspections and audits in accordance with scheduled program utilizing dedicated audit criteria which verifies compliance with employee training, facility regulatory compliance, vehicle fleet / DOT compliance, environmental compliance and shop and rental fleet compliance.
- Participates in and engages with field workers to understand the specific hazards of the Specialty group and works with PCM, field personnel, and RM to assist in development of JSA’s and SOP’s focused on risk mitigation.
- Identifies Safety, Health, Environmental, and DOT deficiencies found during PC or site work visits and inspections; provides written evaluation of inspection with corrective action requirements; assists Profit Center Manager & Service Manager in mandating time period for completion of corrective actions.
- Works with Profit Center Managers to assign the correct Safety Coordinator to the location.
- Responsible for delivering safety training modules to employees on an ongoing basis.
- Assists PCM and Safety Coordinator as necessary with completion of required training, safety meeting and quiz completion, and on-going adherence of Sunbelt’s Core Safety Processes & documentation.
- Responsible for tracking and trending PCs in their respected areas to identify which locations are adhering to the Sunbelt Rentals Leading Indicator Program and which PC’s need attention due an increase in lagging data.
- Responsible for working with Regional Managers to develop an annual strategic SH&E Business Plan addressing prior year performance of the Region as well as annual targets for the Calendar and Fiscal Year.
- SSM shall distribute periodic reports to their Director and RMs describing the 1) Number of Recordable and First Aid Injuries, 2) Number of VIRs 3) Number of Near Misses, 4) Trends in the Region which require additional attention or intervention.
- Leads monthly Safety Coordinator Phone Call for all Coordinators within their Specialty or responsibility.
- Develops schedules for and leads the Safety Coordinator Boot Camp in the Region
- Train and monitor staff on Sunbelt Rentals Behavior Based Safety Tools.
- Supports PCM and Safety Coordinator in the investigation of all incidents and appropriate near-misses while assisting the PCM in completion of reporting requirements and follows up as necessary to support the claims managers. Schedules incident review calls for all significant incidents. Assists in developing corrective actions based on hierarchy of controls. Develops lessons learned and Safety Alert documents to share within the Specialty group.
- Active participation in PC safety meetings and Quarterly Safety Committee Meetings as well as providing assistance to PCM/Service Manager in conducting Safety Stand Down meetings.
Education or experience that prepares you for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety and Health or a related field or equivalent work experience
- 5 years working with Safety, Health and Environmental Management Systems and implementation of safety programs
- Preferred Safety Certification - CSP, ASP and CIH
- Ability and willingness to travel 60%+; overnight travel required
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities you may rely on:
- Exceptional written and verbal skills when addressing either individuals or groups
- Presenting information in classroom or conference call settings
- Developing and executing a strategic plan with measurable goals based on leading and lagging indicator performance.
- An observable positive attitude
- Ability to track and trend performance of multiple locations based on incident data obtained through internal tracking mechanisms.
- Dependable, motivated, and self-starter
- Ability to multi-task and be highly organized
- Customer-service oriented
- A general overview of OSHA construction and general industry regulation knowledge
- Working knowledge of DOT regulations and transportation safety
- An ability to foster credibility with PC Supervisors, Safety Coordinators, and PCMs
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
This candidate will work remotely when not traveling and will be based on the West Coast.
Safety is key to our culture:
The physical demands of this role require bending, squatting, crouching, reaching, lifting 25 pounds or more, and working indoors/outdoors when required by the job. The above description is not a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental or similar duties which may be required from day to day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to comply with applicable laws.
We value an inclusive and diverse workplace: Environmental Health and Safety Director (EHS Director); Health and Safety Professional; Health and Safety Specialist; Industrial Hygienist; Industrial Safety Engineer; Safety and Health Consultant; Safety Engineer; Safety Manager; Safety Team Leader; Safety, Health, and Environment Vice President
Sunbelt Rentals is an Equal Opportunity Employer — Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran and any other protected class.
Columbia, SC Notification: This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
Gear up for an exciting career!
If a current Sunbelt Rentals employee has referred you for an employment opportunity please notify them that you are applying for this position. In order for the employee to get a referral bonus they need to contact their regional recruiter.