Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at www.astellas.com.
Purpose & Scope:
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Senior Manager is responsible for leading and executing field medical activities that support the Medical Affairs strategies for one or more marketed product and/or development compound. They use clinical knowledge and field expertise along with business orientation to identify and communicate business and scientific trends in the healthcare environment. They engage in peer mentoring across the Field team and are sought out by peers and colleagues to advise the medical strategy with identified market and healthcare trends. The MSL Senior Manager will:
* Understand the external healthcare environment and data gaps related to the disease area or product
* Capture field intelligence, identify and communicate key insights to internal colleagues
* Fulfill partner information needs by communicating appropriate details of therapeutic area and product/compound.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Identify, evaluate and engage in scientific exchange with Key External Experts (KEEs) and future KEEs aligned with the TA and U.S. medical strategy
* Serve as a consultant to TA leadership and other MSLs for identification and engagement of KEEs
* Create and implement outcomes plans for identified healthcare organizations in assignment. Integrate healthcare organization and Astellas' interests and capabilities to consider outstanding collaboration opportunities. Assist the TA leadership team in developing key organization strategies.
* Engage in scientific exchange in which knowledge about product(s), disease(s) and therapeutic area(s) is shared to ensure the safe and effective use of Astellas products and engage in discussions regarding evolving trends in disease state management and trends in therapy.
* Gain scientific, medical and competitive intelligence and insights during scientific exchange, assess for possible impact on Astellas initiatives, and communicate findings to appropriate Astellas colleagues.
* Interpret, apply, and communicate market and healthcare trends from scientific exchange to appropriate Astellas colleagues in support of the Medical Affairs strategy
* Mentor other MSLs based on broad discernment, e.g., Government Affairs, industry and/or scientific trends
* Integrate scientific activities with other departments and/or global colleagues at major medical meetings
* Lead TA level Field initiative(s)
* Collaborate with appropriate Astellas partners, e.g. identify and recommend appropriate KEEs to participate on Astellas speaker's bureau and/or advisory boards. Ensure all KEEs on the speakers' bureau are routinely updated as new information arises.
* Collaborate with Field HEOR for managed care and formulary presentations on Astellas products upon request
* Identify investigators and recommend sites for Medical Affairs and/or Development sponsored studies upon request and engage with investigators about their research capabilities as appropriate. Provide ongoing support to investigators and/or study team as appropriate.
* Contribute to the critical review of investigator sponsored research (ISR) submissions and mentor other colleagues on the ISR process
* Participate in or lead approved training of Sales representatives as advised
* Communicate in-licensing opportunities to appropriate internal colleagues
* Remain current in medical and scientific knowledge to enable peer-to-peer scientific exchange
The MSL Senior Manager identifies, cultivates and effectively manages scientific relationships with active and potential KEEs. The MSL Senior Manager builds and implements organization plans for identified healthcare organizations within assigned geography, aligned with the respective Medical Affairs strategies, that champion scientific exchange and collaboration. They will analyze and communicate field intelligence, business and scientific trends in the local, regional and national healthcare environment. They respond to requests for information from KEEs and healthcare personnel. The MSL Senior Manager will also interact with internal colleagues to identify and communicate key field insights and contribute to the development and execution of related medical activities.
The MSL Senior Manager reports to the Field Director MSL within a given therapeutic area. The MSL Senior Manager will collaborate, as advised, with:
* Medical Affairs, Americas: Medical Directors, health economics and outcomes research (HEOR) and Field HEOR, Medical Information as well as cross functions within MAA
* Commercial: Marketing brand managers, directors. Sales representatives, regional sales managers
* Ethics & Compliance, Legal, Government Affairs
* External: Astellas, partners, vendors
* Master's Degree in a health-related science and at least 2 years of MSL or Medical Affairs experience in the pharmaceutical industry
* Demonstrated ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific information
* Proven oral and written communication skills
* Ability to travel overnight 40% - 60% of the time
* Prior experience in managing a frequent travel schedule
* Demonstrated advanced digital literacy (MS Office and Windows) and willing to learn new applications
* Demonstrated ability and capacity to network and establish business relationships
* Strong eye for business
* A demonstrated high degree of proficiency in multiple project management and analytical skills
* Demonstrated leadership skills
* Doctoral degree in a health-related science
* Medical Science Liaison experience
* Demonstrated high level of scientific expertise/proficiency in therapeutic area of responsibility
* Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
* Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time, plus national holidays, including year-end shutdown
* 401(k) Match and Annual Company Contribution
* Company Paid Life Insurance
* Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible positions
* Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions
* Referral bonus program
Astellas is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. EOE including Disability/Protected Veterans.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled